Visitor Experience Assistant
Job Title: Visitor Experience Assistant
Reports to: Senior Visitor Experience Manager
Hours: Hours will include weekdays, weekends, and evening work
Contract: Zero hours
Overall purpose of the post
To ensure the smooth running of the day to day, on site visitor experience at Bath Abbey by supporting a team of volunteers to deliver a 5-star service including delivering high-quality guided tours of the Abbey.
The Abbey is going through a significant period of development. We are bringing our visitor facilities fully up to date, developing a new visitor experience and enhancing our education offer by developing formal and informal learning. Our facilities and activities will also be more accessible to residents from other areas and demographics in the city, those wishing to volunteer with us and / or those wishing to be part of the Abbey community. We are looking for someone with vision and imagination to be part of our team, someone able to give attention to detail in order to ensure a high-quality visitor experience and someone able to draw on past experience, best practice and innovation to help us deliver on our aspirations and vision.
The scope of the job is:
- To provide a consistently warm, professional, and efficient welcome at the Abbey's entrance and ensure the volunteer team does the same.
- To receive donations from visitors and sell tour tickets and gift shop stock using the till system (currently MERAC).
- To deliver high-quality and engaging tours of the Abbey, including the Tower, to visitors, sharing the Abbey's story and mission.
- To aid the smooth running of the Gift Shop, which would include selling, replenishment and supporting the shop management team.
- Ensure the entrance, Abbey floor, Tower and exterior of the Abbey are welcoming, clean, and tidy at all times and that any leaflets, posters and other literature is relevant, well stocked and in date.
- To deliver high-quality engaging tours of the Abbey Floor and Tower to groups of visitors of varying age ranges and group sizes.
- Respond to visitor feedback in a professional and timely manner, escalating to the Visitor Experience Supervisor as necessary.
- To support the Operations Team in ensuring the safety and security of the Abbey and its visitors by acting as the eyes and ears on the ground and reporting any concerns to the Operations Team immediately.
- Ensure the smooth entry of groups to the Abbey.
- To communicate and work with other departments to ensure visitor facing events run smoothly.
- To ensure that the shop is well stocked and replenished throughout the day.
- To support the shop team and its volunteers in the day to day retail operation.
- Attend relevant training and meetings as directed by the Visitor Experience Management Team.
- From time to time, you may be asked to complete additional tasks in line with your level of responsibility and pay by the Visitor Experience Management Team.
- To adhere to all Bath Abbey policies and procedures.
- Previous experience working in a busy customer service environment
- A proven ability to handle demanding and difficult situations with the public, in a calm and confident manner
- A flexible, visitor focused approach
- Clear and effective communication skills, including the ability to articulate to small groups of mixed ages in a meaningful and interesting way
- Attention to detail, especially with regards to health and safety
- Able to work on your own initiative with support from Visitor Experience Management Team
- Able to work as part of a team
- A good level of fitness (tours go up a large number of steps multiple times a day)
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings
- Previous cash handling/till reconciliation experience
- Experience working in a public facing role at a visitor attraction
- A working knowledge of front of house ticketing systems
- First aid certificate
- Knowledge of good health and safety practice
- The candidate will be required to submit to an enhanced DBS clearance check
- Completing of Church of England Safeguarding Course (if successful)
To submit an application please send a full CV and covering letter of no more than one A4 page which explains why you are a suitable candidate. Please include the details of two references. References will only be taken up once an offer has been made.