About the role:
Working within the Project Definition Team, you will be responsible for developing solutions, study briefs and be responsible for the definition phase of both typical and challenging UK water or wastewater engineering projects. The role will be focused on Network (Infrastructure) or Treatment (Non-Infrastructure) assets.
The output will usually consist of a specification (Project Brief) and a reference solution. This role will provide technical leadership and guidance to Engineers working on projects within the team and will provide support to peers, project managers and the Definition Manager in delivering the Capital Programme.
Whilst the role has no direct reports, it will involve the management of a project team consisting of internal staff and embedded consultants.
Key areas of accountability will include:
- Production of tender documentation for a portfolio of projects.
- Engagement of internal and external stakeholders at all levels in order to drive forward project delivery.
- Ensure that study work and definition outputs are developed and delivered to a high quality within agreed timescales and budgets.
- Plan the delivery of studies and accurately estimate the resource input, cost and time requirements.
- Produce high level designs and scope information to enable solutions to be valued.
- Performance management of work undertaken by external consultants.
- Support the development of Health and Safety culture within the project team.
- Maintain awareness of developments in own discipline and approaches to design and construction.
- Share knowledge and experience with less experienced engineers, as well as providing local technical support.
- An Engineering or Science Degree or equivalent is required. Ideally, you will also have Chartered Engineer status.
- Strong project management skills and commercially astute.
- An engineering design background in water and/or wastewater projects.
- Strong analytical and conceptual thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills and good judgment.
- Ability to understand complex project programmes with a high level of understanding of engineering contracts.
- An understanding of project risk analysis is also essential.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, naturally collaborative and the confidence to effectively communicate with colleagues, contractors and consultants.
- Strong presentation skills are essential and you will be competent in the use of various IT packages such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- A high level of commitment to ensure deadlines are achieved or outperformed.
- Regular travel to Reading and other key business sites will be required and therefore a full driving licence is essential.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a highly engaged and professional technical team who are responsible for the early stages of project definition for a wide range of interesting and challenging capital projects. You will be supporting a wide portfolio of projects across a five-year Capital Programme, having a real opportunity to develop the needs of the business and provide solutions for implementation for the projects.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, a minimum of 26 days holiday per year increasing to a maximum of 30 days depending on grade and length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our refer-a-friend bonus, where you can receive up to £1,000 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company. Flexible working hours will be considered for the role.
We're also proud to be here for our local community, offering all of our teams two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Thames Water is the UK's largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by suppling 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That's why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We're passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We're also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We're reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We're using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world's poorest communities.
Together, we're building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you'll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We're also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with an award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy...... click apply for full job details