London or Remote UK Circa £100,000, subject to experience Benefits Hear from the team
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we’re doing things differently. For too long, banking has been confusing, complex and not designed with customers in mind.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We’re focused on solving customers’ problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people’s lives through Monzo.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for a Senior Legal Counsel – Pensions and Investments to join our team at Monzo and help us build one of the best, most innovative banks in the world. This role will report to the Senior Legal Counsel – Savings and Investments, and is part of the Legal team in the Legal & Board Governance Collective at Monzo.
In this role, you’ll work closely with the Savings & Investments Collective on Monzo’s personal pension and investments products, and support the team in making pensions and investments accessible for everyone. You’ll work at all levels in the organisation and with a wide-range of stakeholders from Product Managers and Designers, to Operations professionals and software Engineers.
The Savings & Investments Collective is Monzo’s newest team: its mission is to help our customers grow their money, and meet their financial goals by providing the right products for our customers, and education on how to make the best use of them. As part of the Legal & Board Governance Collective, you’ll work closely with the Savings & Investments team to give them the legal advice they need to do just that, with a particular focus on pensions.
What you’ll do:
- Be a trusted adviser and partner to the Savings & Investments team, helping them build beautiful products and create effective customer-journeys in the Monzo app whilst meeting our regulatory requirements
- Advise on the development of our pensions offering, including expanding the range of assets available, and offering draw-down
- Support the Savings & Investments team in managing third parties involved in the provision of pensions and investments services (including pension scheme trustees and administrators, and custodians)
- Equip the team to deal with developments in the regulatory landscape for pensions and investments, and work closely with Compliance colleagues on all things regulatory
- Work with Risk and Control closely to help the team identify and manage legal and regulatory risks relating to the pensions and investments business.
- Prioritise thoughtfully across pensions and investment activities to continuously operate with the highest impact
- Develop and implement processes and procedures to increase the efficiency and scalability of pensions and investments legal advice across the Monzo Group
- Deliver training, share insights from your work, and help educate others on pensions and investments.
- Manage relationships with our external legal counsel and work with the Chief of Staff of the Legal & Board Governance Collective to ensure we are optimising our legal spend on pensions and investments matters, and obtaining best value.
You should apply if:
- You have experience advising on personal pensions, and a solid grounding in direct-to-customer retail investments with a minimum of around 5 years relevant post qualification experience.
- You have outstanding technical skills and strong knowledge of regulatory and tax issues for pensions and investments, having spent time in private practice and preferably significant time in house at a financial institution or fintech.
- You are a team player and natural collaborator who is passionate about effecting change whilst at the same time being goals-focussed and impact-driven.
- You are a strategic thinker, a strong communicator and a keen problem solver who knows how to assess risk and recommend solutions that balance business and risk perspectives
- You are willing to jump in and handle a wide range of legal issues, even outside your core areas of expertise in a proactive, and resourceful way, and can sensibly assess when best to engage external counsel in a cost-effective way
- You are comfortable operating at all levels of the organisation up to the Executive and liaising with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- You welcome diverse perspectives, think rigorously and critically and aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions
- You’ve an open and curious mind, you are passionate about the intersection of banking and technology, and what we are doing here at Monzo excites you!
The Interview Process:
Our interview process involves 4 main stages:
- Recruiter call (potentially followed by an initial call with a member of the Legal team)
- First stage role specific interview
- Second stage values interview
- Coffee chat
Our average process takes around 2-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on .
Your compensation package:
Circa £100,000 base salary (subject to experience) stock options
We can sponsor visas
This role can be based in our London office, but we’re open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team
Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
And much more, see our full list of benefits here
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog , 2022 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2022 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, or veteran, neurodiversity or disability status.