We're looking for a data engineer to join our Data Engineering team. We are offering flexible working from 28hrs (minimum) to 40 hours (maximum) per week. Remote working also available.
The data tech stack in Footasylum has evolved significantly over the last year, giving us lots of opportunity to use data to better serve our customers and colleagues. We are growing our data team to enable us to unlock more value from the technology we have invested in.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to support the growth of the Data Engineering function; to mentor junior members of the team and help build effective practices that drive a culture of technical excellence and continuous improvement.
This is a very exciting opportunity for someone who wants to be part of a growing team, develop the data engineering community of practice, define data standards across the organisation and be part of a team that's driving the second phase of Footasylum's Data Strategy, including maturing a data science function.
What will you do?
- Influence and contribute towards the next phase of our data strategy.
- Deliver the engineering roadmap and champion data engineering across the business.
- Make design and implementation decisions using principles and best practices, making decisions that move the architecture forward.
- Empower junior engineers and drive standard methodologies across different data technologies, finding new ways to solve emerging problems.
- Be an expert for data solutions, overseeing data engineering delivery effort across multiple product teams and projects.
- Create a learning culture by coaching and mentoring junior engineers to make sound technical decisions and help build effective engineering practices, stabilising and optimising the data platform.
- Support the development of the first Data Engineering community of practice.
- Be an advocate for standard methodologies and strong CI /CD principles, govern engineering standards and policies across the business.
- Advocate working in the open by demonstrating your work; use creative ways to bring to life the value of the Data Engineering team
- Drive a data driven culture, ensuring data is at the forefront of decision making across product teams and the business.
- Work with the business and data team to establish a self-service data culture
- 5 years+ working in Data Engineering function
- Databricks, Data Factory, Azure SQL, Azure SQL DW
- Delivering enterprise scale data solutions, infrastructure and architecture.
- Managing and reducing cost in the cloud by using best practice techniques.
- Managing multiple priorities in a fast paced environment alongside evolving the data tech stack and practices.
- Role modelling agile development practices - DevOps, CI, CD, TDD.
- Knowledge of emerging technologies and how they can be used to solve modern business problems.
The ideal candidate will have experience of working in a retail environment using agile methodologies with operational targets crossing multiple departments, although this is not essential.
We have been going through a digital transformation, changing how we deliver value to our business. A big part of this change is fostering a culture of being open and honest, collaborating, having fun and enabling psychological safety.
We want to create a place for teams to do their best work, and you will have the opportunity to influence our decisions, help define standards across the teams and contribute to a healthy and happy working environment.The Data Team
The team and tech stack have evolved significantly over the last year and we now see the Data Engineering function as an opportunity to contribute towards a forward thinking IT department, collaborating with our stakeholders, and thus allowing the data engineers to focus on working closely with the multi-disciplinary teams and bringing in new data sources.
The objective of the data team is to empower the business by using data over opinions and to create efficiencies across the supply chain using machine learning. The data team is an enabling team and as such it is important to note that we are an important function for both the tech teams and the business. By creating robust solutions that allows us to understand data from our multi-disciplinary teams through either event based data in our data lake or bringing in other datasets, we can create meaningful insights.
The data team have made incredible progress to complete a migration from a traditional on-premise data warehouse to a data lake hosted in Azure. They use Data Factory to create pipelines to push data into the Data Lake, Synapse and SQL DB's to build the reporting cubes and streaming analytics to provide real-time sales and stores dashboards to the business.
We are offering a salary up to £60,000 (full time) for the right person, which we assess based on your own experiences, skills and against the principles of our department and our ways of working. You'll also get access to our 'FA Presents' company benefits platform, 25 days holiday and pension as standard, and use of our training budget to help you develop your skills.
We recognise and value the importance of diversity to help make sure we have lots of different perspectives when we are building products and services. We know that this will help us build useful and accessible things which our customers will love. This is great news for our business. Diversity for us is also, importantly, about building happy teams full of people that want to learn and want to be inspired by each other and our different experiences and backgrounds.