The Regulatory Affairs function understands, provides advice and influences the various regulatory components of the energy sector so that Centrica businesses can work effectively within it.
Within this function the Regulatory Manager, Retail Market Policy is responsible for leading on aspects of regulatory policy relating to all retail market design matters for Centrica (both domestic and non-domestic).
This role will lead on elements of the wider responsibilities of the Retail Market Policy team.
Specific responsibilities for the wider team include:
- Leading on regulatory policy development relating to the retail markets. This includes providing strategic direction on material regulatory retail policy issues, and ensuring effective engagement with British Gas, New Energy Platforms and Centrica Business Solutions to develop positions that best promote Centrica Group interests. Examples of issues across the domestic and non-domestic sectors led by this team include:
- leading on issues relating to the Default Tariff Cap (while in place) and on the future retail market (i.e. post-Default Tariff Cap);
- regulations relating to Third Party Intermediaries (domestic and non-domestic);
- non-domestic retail issues (with specific focus on microbusiness regulation);
- issues relating to actual / potential supplier failures (i.e. Supplier of Last Resort, and Supplier Licensing Review); and
- emerging regulatory change, such as electricity Half Hourly Settlement.
Responsibilities of this team also include:
- development of policy positions relating to the design and optimisation of retail markets, and agreement of these positions with Centrica colleagues and senior management;
- development and delivery of engagement plans with key stakeholders to influence policy development in line with proposed policy positions;
- preparation of relevant formal consultation responses;
- management of key external relationships with external stakeholders such as Ofgem, Citizen's Advice and government; and
- supporting the Director of Regulatory Affairs and Policy as and when required.
- Close working relationships with senior Centrica management is a critical aspect of the role and close support to business areas but the team is essential.
- You must be able to develop excellent working relationships at all levels of Centrica Group, and with a wide range of key external stakeholders (e.g. Ofgem, energy networks, industry bodies, competitors and industry associations).
- Good understanding and experience of the retail regulatory environment within which Centrica Group operates
- Experience of effective engagement with senior internal stakeholders on business critical issues.
- Good commercial understanding of the nature of the retail energy market
- An ability (with proven track record) to develop innovative and powerful solutions to complex regulatory or business problems combining strategic vision with attention to detail
- Ability to work flexibly, across a wide range of high profile and fast moving tactical and strategic issues.
- Strong external stakeholder management skills.
- Strong leadership skills and a proven track record in influencing to deliver commercial value, including:
- Excellent verbal, presentation and reasoning skills
- Ability to build constructive relationships at all levels of an organisation
- Excellent team leading skills
- Excellent analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Ability to manage conflict
Education and Certifications
Strategic, technical, economics or legal qualifications and significant energy sector and regulatory experience at a senior level.
- Highly collaborative, enabling consistent positions to be developed across multiple teams seamlessly
- Strong commercial acumen, ensuring regulatory / policy positions are fully consistent with enabling Centrica's commercial objectives
- Experience of translating complex concepts into clear and concise messaging (verbal and written), and delivering with impact to senior audiences
- Confident and credible: able to produce a high volume of factually accurate, quality reports/documents to short deadlines - inspires confidence from senior colleagues.
- Skilled and experienced in managing complex projects including commissioning external research, involving the management of budgets, virtual teams and tight project deadlines.
- Able to horizon scan to identify strategic risks and opportunities for the business...... click apply for full job details