Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, environmental, climate change and chemical risk expertise with strong IT, data science and economics capability. Ricardo is held in very high regard by our clients for the in-depth sector insight we demonstrate, our passion for delivering quality, and our reputation for producing innovative solutions. We are acutely aware of the importance of our role in safeguarding and enhancing our environment and fully believe in our mission to create a world fit for the future.
Our business consists of a team of over 650 consultants, engineers and scientists with world-leading energy, climate change and environmental expertise complemented by powerful digital and techno-economic capabilities. Our Sustainability business area has grown rapidly over the last year from 36 to 55 staff and we expect continued strong growth over the coming years.
We are seeking an experienced Consultant or Senior Consultant (depending on experience) to join our Sustainability team and support the growth of our business in this quickly developing market. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a highly successful and exciting business area within a leading environmental consultancy.
As a result of the expansion of an existing contract, we are seeking an experienced consultant to project manage a high-profile multi-year project which provides sustainable packaging advice and audits to private sector clients (brand managers, retailers, and Fast-Moving Consumer Goods businesses). The individual we are looking for should have strong technical credentials, ideally in packaging, and great customer and commercial skills. The successful candidate will have consultancy experience within the packaging market and experience of managing projects.
This is an exciting role within the field of packaging and product policy and with the changes proposed through Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) this is an ideal opportunity for the successful candidate to develop their career within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
The role will be based in one of our regional UK offices, although this is flexible in line with the successful candidate's preferences.
• The overall delivery and management of a project which provides technical advice on packaging materials and recyclability to private sector clients which includes some of the largest brand managers and retailers in the UK. Providing technical input and support for the delivery of this project which also provides advice on labelling of packaging.
• A strong attention to detail in order to ensure our clients receive accurate information through timely and well written reports.
• Overseeing entire project delivery and management on wide-ranging packaging services for public and private sector clients.
• Experience of project management and leading a small team of consultants/technical assessors.
• Building strong relationships with clients and other project stakeholders.
• Working closely with our Business Area Manager and Technical Director to develop new consultancy opportunities.
• Experience of writing and delivering high quality competitive tenders to public and private sector clients.
Key competencies and experience
• Candidates will have a sustainability, environmental management, or science background with extensive practical and management career experience with a focus on delivering a selection of packaging projects. This might include advising on the packaging value chains (including design, function, and materials choice).
• Knowledge including recent developments related to Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) Legislation in the UK, as well as the European Circular Economy Package, European Strategy for Plastics, 25-Year Environmental Plan, and the UK Plastics Pact would also be useful.
• A Bachelor's degree (2.1 or above) in a relevant sustainability, environmental management, or science subject with extensive experience in the field.
• Excellent technical knowledge and knowledge of key technical and policy issues in the field.
• Extensive consultancy experience and/or working in a corporate sustainability team.
• Extensive project management skills and experience.
• Great communication and oral presentation skills (in English).
• Strong report writing expertise and excellent written English.
• Strong IT skills, including familiarity with the full Microsoft Office software suite.
Skills and behaviours
• Excellent business delivery skills as demonstrated through a track record of consultancy work in the above fields.
• Ability to build effective relationships with retail, manufacturing and packaging industry representatives at all levels.
• A passion for delivering high value work to clients and bringing new ideas to the table for successfully developing the business.
• Flexible approach including a willingness and ability to work on a wide range of topics, some of which will be new to you.
• The ability to work autonomously and proactively on projects.
• Analytical skills with ability to identify, develop and implement business improvement solutions.
• Great communication skills and highly emotionally intelligent with strong stakeholder engagement skills and an ability to build consensus amongst groups of often very different stakeholders.
• Effective and proactive team worker, capable of supporting and developing peers and junior staff members.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a highly successful and exciting business area within a leading environmental consultancy.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference in the world. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of project, mentoring and coaching opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our Sustainability business area was created to bring a technical focus to the services we deliver in both the public sector and corporate sustainability market. Through this team, we offer a range of 'joined up' sustainability services supporting our client's diverse needs and continue to expand our circular economy and sustainability offering.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, careers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance Programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach.