Job title: Market Risk Manager
Corporate Title: Vice President/Associate
Department: Risk Management
Nomura is an Asia-based financial services group with an integrated global network spanning over 30 countries. By connecting markets East & West, Nomura services the needs of individuals, institutions, corporates and governments through its three business divisions: Retail, Asset Management, and Wholesale (Global Markets and Investment Banking). Founded in 1925, the firm is built on a tradition of disciplined entrepreneurship, serving clients with creative solutions and considered thought leadership. For further information about Nomura, visit
The Market Risk team is responsible for providing independent oversight of the firm’s trading activities based on quantitative and qualitative analysis of all material positions and the current market environment. These findings are reported to key stakeholders within the firm. The role involves a diverse range of risk management responsibilities and provides exposure to the trading desks, quants, other risk teams, finance, and senior management.
This is for a position for the Global Rates team within the Market Risk Management team covering EMEA business, and be responsible for daily aggregation, validation, and monitoring of Market Risk. It is vital for the candidate to challenge for the future as well as breaking the silo across teams to embed a Market Risk culture throughout the organization.
- Regular reporting of risk positions, limit breaches, and stress testing results for firm management and regulatory compliance
- Identification and investigation of changes to risk profile, including analysis of VaR and stress drivers. Communication findings to senior management.
- Reviewing new transaction requests, identifying and assessing the key risk issues, including capital impacts.
- Working with trading team to understand the position, limit breaches and stressed profile but also challenging them when necessary
- Collaborating with the risk reporting team to develop new risk reports, tools or templates as new risk arises.
- Working with finance and valuation teams to understand the P&L impact of the business and its impact to Market Risk
- Collaborating with quants/risk methodology/model validation team to understand any upcoming pricing and risk model changes
- Developing a good understanding of risk systems and actively participating in bank-wide improvement projects like FRTB and drive improvements where necessary
- Keeping abreast of relevant market events and drivers, as well PRA, EBA and Basel regulatory developments
- 5+ years of experience in a risk function in financial services institutions, or similar experience in a trading position
- Bachelor degree in a quantitative subject (e.g. Mathematics, Finance, Physics, Statistics, Engineering). An advanced degree (e.g. PhD or master) in a quantitative field is strongly preferred.
- Strong product and market knowledge on interest rate derivatives and the hedging techniques in practice
- Solid understanding on market risk concepts like VaR/SVaR/IRC/RNIV/backtesting/stress testing and RWA
- Effective task prioritization – Ensure each task is done thoroughly and autonomously
- Strong work ethic – Hands-on, self-driven, proactive and eager to get involved
- Attention to detail – Strong analytical skills to recognize and investigate changes in risk
- Innovative problem-solver – Willingness to find creative solutions to challenges
- Collaborative communicator – Excels in teamwork, adapting messages effectively for different audience
- Proficiency with Excel
- Experience in cross asset products like FX, Equity, Credit, Insurance or Commodities
- Experience in working with in-house pricing/VaR/capital tools, methodologies and applications
- Knowledge on SQL/Python/Bloomberg
Nomura Culture and Values
- Pursue the best interests of our clients
- Continually enhance our expertise and capabilities
- Manage risk appropriately
- Be passionate about achieving more
- Support for mutual growth
- Move towards the future
- Leverage our collective strength
- Promote teamwork
- Create a comfortable work environment
- Contribute to a sustainable society
- Be the most trusted partner for our clients
- Uphold the highest standards of compliance
- Handle information properly
- Never pursue self-interests
- Be responsible
- Learn from mistakes
- Speak up
- Respect diversity and individual rights
- Disclose information appropriately
Right to Work
The UK Government have taken steps to reduce net migration to the UK by limiting the number of overseas workers coming to the UK for employment. Please note that whilst we are able to consider applications from overseas workers from outside the UK (who require a Tier 2 Skilled Worker visa) we can only employ them if we can provide evidence that this is a genuine vacancy for a qualified role.
Diversity & Inclusion
Nomura is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to ensuring we best reflect the diversity of the communities we serve creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome all applications and do not discriminate on the basis of age, disability, gender identity and gender expression, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
If you require any assistance or reasonable adjustments due to a disability or long-term health condition, please do not hesitate to contact us.