TLT is a leading adviser to the financial services industry. The firm acts for the largest UK banks and other leading firms. We are now looking to grow our Financial Services Regulatory team and we are keen to hear from Managing Associates/Legal Directors, with over 6 years PQE, who are ambitious and want to join a team who has a strategic aim to be the best in the UK.
The successful candidate would have the opportunity to play a significant role in the development of our retail financial services practice, with excellent prospects for career advancement in a supportive and exciting environment. You can enjoy flexible working arrangements and can be based out of any of our UK offices.
You would join the Financial Services Regulatory team. We are looking for lawyers who particularly want to specialise in retail financial services (consumer credit, mortgages, retail banking and payments regulation). The team already has a very strong reputation in the retail financial services sector and advises banks, building societies and specialist lenders on the complete range of regulatory matters affecting their business. The team is ranked in Chambers and Partners for Consumer Finance.
In addition to this core focus, the team has a growing and wider financial regulatory practice. This practice covers wealth and asset management, and funds and funds management.
You can expect to work for leading financial services firms on their strategically important matters. You should expect to work on these sorts of areas:
- Assisting clients to develop new products and services, providing end to end regulatory support, including structuring products, drafting agreements, working on comms, working through detailed systems builds;
- Helping clients when things don’t go according to plan, including assessing regulatory issues and remediation strategies;
- Assisting clients to implement new regulatory requirements, including BNPL, consumer credit and payments reform;
- Assisting clients with general regulatory compliance, including with Consumer Duty and consumer law compliance.
In addition to the technical work on matters, you will also take on these roles:
- You will work closely with the Partners and will take on management and mentoring roles for the more junior members of the team. A really important part of your role will be to provide support, coaching and guidance to members of the team, supporting their technical and professional development.
- Training clients and speaking at conferences and client events on regulatory developments.
- Actively working with the partners to set the strategy for the team and continue to grow and develop the team and its specialist practice areas.
- Actively engaging in business development activities with clients and potential clients, particularly in working alongside the partners to grow and develop the retail financial services practice.
Your Skills and Experience
To be considered for this role, strong technical financial regulation experience is essential. This can have been gained working in private practice, in house, or in a compliance or public affairs role. Ideally you will be a qualified lawyer, but we would consider compliance professionals who have had a very technical role.
Ideally, you will have had significant experience working on retail financial services and payments regulation, but you do not need experience of all the technical areas. You must have a desire to practice across these areas and develop new complementary specialisms to your current ones if necessary.
It is also essential that you have a real and genuine interest in financial regulation and in particular the retail financial services sector. You will be given support to develop technically, but you also need a strong self learning approach to your development.
You will have/be:
- Experience in business development and maintaining strong client relationships
- Experience of supervising and/or managing team members
- Able to demonstrate high quality communication skills with the ability and confidence to engage with clients and colleagues at all levels
- Able to provide strategic advice to a variety of TLT clients with little or no supervision
- An active, senior member of the team at TLT, with the commitment to developing the firm’s offering locally and nationally
TLT is immersed in the financial services industry, which represents over 40% of our turnover.
The financial services industry is facing an unprecedented rate of regulatory change and our key relationships within our client base provide the opportunity to serve our clients further in this in this important and critical area.
Our proactive approach to providing insight and advice upon future risks and their solutions enables us to help clients navigate the challenges of regulatory change and scrutiny, rapid digital innovation and heightened operational risk.
Fast paced, fast growing and forward thinking, TLT is the law firm that helps clients stay one step ahead, and we do the same for our people.
We work with high profile clients in innovative sectors. With local, national and international reach, we have over 1,400 people in offices across the UK and a network of partner firms across Europe, India and the US. In 2022 we were named Law Firm of the Year at The British Legal Awards, recognising our incredible success story.
Our purpose is to protect, prepare and progress our clients for what comes next and it’s essential that we do the same for our people, our planet and our communities too. In our open and collaborative culture, we encourage everyone to be their whole self, to have a voice and to contribute.
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You’ll receive a competitive salary with an annual pay review. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
At TLT we have a progressive fully flexible working approach. We empower our people to work in a place and at a time that meets their needs, those of their clients and of the wider team and firm. Part of this agile approach is a focus on hybrid working and supporting the work/life balance of our people. We’re happy to talk about how flexible working can work for you and this role.
TLT is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities and are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on