Our mission is to make Britain a safer place. If you want to work for an 'Award Winning Company' that leaves nothing to chance, it's a no brainer, British Engineering Services is the place for you!
We are an independent Engineering Inspection business with superb head offices in central Manchester, and staff around the UK and Ireland. We have over 400 highly skilled Engineer Surveyors and Engineering Consultants who inspect, test and report on industrial machinery from coffee machines to tower cranes in order to keep the UK industry, businesses and public safe. We have over 160 years' experience and are proud to have evolved into the successful company we are today, everything we do has been tried and tested. Year on year we invest in our people, systems and infrastructure and will continue to do so for generations to come.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join our Manchester based technology team in a role that will allow you to grow your skills as a Junior Data Engineer through the delivery of data insights to all areas of our business. Our operations are of a scale that will provide you with material data and technology solution challenges, whilst allowing you to rapidly see the impact of the work that you do.
Our strategic BI platform is pure Microsoft Azure and employs many of the latest Azure PaaS services. Our overall technology landscape is Microsoft centric with our core systems of Dynamics 365 (CRM), NAV and Office 365 integrated with a range of in-house developed Azure deployed services and portals, and a Windows based mobile platform for our team of engineering inspectors.
We are a small in-house technology team (15 strong) and this role requires an individual who can work well and play their part effectively within a small team.
What will you be doing?
Reporting into the Head of Data & Business Intelligence, you will deliver data insights to all areas of our business. These insights are critical to the growth of our business as well as the delivery of operational efficiencies and new client services. In addition, you will:
* Develop and implement business intelligence and reporting solutions using the latest Azure technologies: Azure Synapse Analytics, Azure Analysis Services, Azure Data Lake, Azure SQL Database, Azure Data Factory and Power BI
* Support and enhance our on-premises integration platform using SQL Server Integration Services
* Work with system and business owners to identify and address data quality issues
* Address the backlog of reporting and data quality requests
We have a challenging programme of BI and Analytics work to progress over the next 18 months as we continue to expand the data on the platform and work with business leads to deliver new data insights. As a Junior Data Engineer, you will play a key role in contributing to business success.
What are we looking for?
If you want to join us as a Junior Data Engineer, you will be able to innovate as well as being highly effective in the delivery of data and analytic solutions. You will;
* Demonstrate development experience in BI, reporting, data and databases
* Experience in a customer focused role, both internal and external
* Strong proficiency in developing T-SQL stored procedures, views and CTE's
* Knowledge of the Microsoft SQL Server Platform - DB, SSAS, SSIS, SSRS, or other BI & reporting development tools
* Excellent troubleshooting, debugging and critical thinking skills
* Ability to collaborate on a team with infrastructure, development, business analyst and other resources
* Ability to clearly communicate solutions to both technical and non-technical team members
* Familiarity with Microsoft Power BI
* Exposure to Agile ways of working
* Some experience of data cleansing, quality, profiling, modelling and integration
* A basic understanding of dimensional modelling
* A basic knowledge of the Microsoft Azure cloud platform
What makes British Engineering Services a great place to work?
You'll join a passionate and knowledgeable team, with ample opportunities to learn - whether that's new skills or new technologies. We genuinely care. It's basic, human instinct that runs through every person that works at British Engineering Services. Knowing we always do the best job we can with absolutely no compromise means everything.
If you work for us, you will get the below and, so much more:
* Full training and ongoing leadership support
* A flexible working approach, with a split between office based and home working available (you must have suitable wifi, and provide your own office set up)
* Amazing head offices in the heart of Manchester city centre
* Development opportunities across the business
* Discretionary annual company bonus and yearly salary review
* Shiny new Surface Pro
* Access to lots of discounts and benefits via our company benefits portal including; retail, fitness, holiday and cinema discounts
* The support of a superb employee assistance programme
* A competitive salary
* Up to 10% pension
To apply for this role, simply click "Apply". We ask for some basic contact information and a CV or your LinkedIn profile, it's that easy! Please keep in mind, successful candidates will be required to complete the relevant background checks as part of the recruitment process.
We want to inspire everyone to see how important safety is and we expect the same from our people. And if you're on the same page as us about that and you've got the right skills, experience and attitude, you'll fit right in. Simple. We're all about diversity and inclusion and that means we want our people to be themselves. We're delighted to be an equal opportunities employer and that will never change!
British Engineering Services, making Britain a safer place