General Manager, Old Brewers’ Yard page is loaded General Manager, Old Brewers’ Yard Apply locations London, England time type Full time posted on Posted 2 Days Ago job requisition id JR Job Description :
Old Brewers’ Yard General Manager
Old Brewers’ Yard is a new, authentic brand home for Guinness in the UK, located in the historic brewing quarter in Covent Garden. Consisting of 52,000 square feet of historic buildings and central courtyard, this will become a key growth driver for Guinness, placing the brain in culture, driving relevancy and salience among a new generation of drinkers. The London brand home will be the GB home of Guinness: designed with sustainability in mind, bold, brave, exciting, and rooted in culture and community.
It will provide beer which will be produced and served on site. This experimental beer will be produced from a live working 10hl brewery , a world-leading brewing facility which will produce innovation and limited-edition liquids to be served across the OBY site . The brewery will form part of a grain to glass immersive visitor experience in 1 Mercer Walk, which will also house dedicated space to build Diageo’s southern hub for the Learning 4 Life programme, training hundreds of people per year in hospitality skills.
Community will be at the heart of OBY; we will create opportunities for local jobseekers, give our brewery waste products a second life in the community, and share OBY spaces with local community groups. The site is scheduled to open in December 2024.
Key elements of the site include:
- Iconic Guinness Gates as main entrance to the experience, offering huge cultural impact in the heat of London
- Taproom/bars – world class food and beer produced and served on site
- Central all weather historic courtyard with world class bar experience
- Bespoke 5th floor glass box rooftop eating and drinking experience creating brand new rooftop view of London
- Brewery and beer experience/tastingtours
- Cultural events space designed and fit out with technology to enable world c la ss meeting and conference experiences
- Retail spaces, one of which to stock items produced through exciting short-term brand collaborations
Purpose of Role
The General Manager will oversee the pre- and post-opening operations of Old Brewers’ Yard with a strategic viewpoint towards achieving excellent guest service, strong working partnerships with third party operators, team member excellence, and financial profitability. The role will require excellent leadership skills, an analytical mind with a broad vision of the business, and a high level of maturity and knowledge to manage passionate employees, operational processes, and positive visitor experiences.
The GM will be the public face of Old Brewers’ Yard, ensuring outstanding and courteous service to both VIP and everyday guests from day one.
Y ou will champion innovation, creativity and social connection. You’ll be at the forefront of engaging a huge variety of people, helping us to go further than we ever imagined. You’ll do this by:
- Making sure our guests embrace every minute with us – and rave about their experiences afterwards.
- Overseeing everything that we’re offering at Guinness OBY , whether directly or through third party operating partners – cementing our reputation as an international leader of visitor attractions.
- Making sure OBY delivers a very positive contribution to the Covent Garden area, through great relationships with local stakeholders and delivering schemes and events supporting the local area, everything from coffee mornings to apprenticeships .
- Creatively translating global brand and Brand Homes central team strategies for OBY – without taking away from our own unique personalit y .
- Growing the business, placing great value on everything from tour admissions to retail to F&B – and delivering against the P&L targets that quantify that success.
- Ensur ing OBY is set up to successfully deliver the relevant aspects of Diageo’s Society 2030 goals, including promoting responsible drinking .
Site and operations set up as part of Project Reality
- Assist HR and the OBY/Project Reality team to recruit, interview, and select experienced, team-oriented, and passionate applicants for positions in the Retail, Events, and Sales, Marketing & Digital teams
- Work with D&T project workstream leads to assess, procure , and implement the ticketing, admissions, and access control systems to provide seamless integration and operations throughout experience
- Work closely with third party Food & Beverage operat ing partner to ensure the ir offering and service levels go above and beyond Guinness brand, Diageo GB and guest expectations
- Establish and deliver staff training program prior to site opening , including, but not limited to, on site systems, sales procedures and events management processes .
- Ensure sustainable operational readiness of all OBY departments prior to grand opening
- Support site management team to devise cross-site storage and stock management procedures
Ongoing site operations
- Budget management of OBY P&L, including direct and indirect staff costs, maintenance, marketing, events, brand collab orations and local sponsorship .
- Ownership of operational OBY KPIs, including reaching sales targets for tours, events and retail .
- Actively seek and implement cost saving programs to provide positive financial results .
- Formulating business cases and strategy for any improvements to OBY .
- Manage F&B Operating Partner and Facilities Management provider contracts while maintaining a constructive and collaborative working relationship .
- Ensure seamless, consistent, and safe consumer experiences on-site to deliver high levels of customer satisfaction, measured through online and offline feedback .
- Understand, follow, and enforce all established Diageo Operating Procedures to exceed operational requirements and ensure employees and guests receive the highest standards of quality, safety, and service at all times .
- Establish, evaluate, and direct short- and long-term experience operation strategies, policies, and procedures .
- Ongoing recruitment, onboarding, training and development of staff .
- Work to create close links with the local community (residents, businesses and other organisations) to generate positive PR and increase local visitor numbers .
- Create plans that attract visitors from overseas markets while also drawing in visitors when in-market, resulting in YOY increases in visitor numbers across all operational elements of OBY .
- Maintain a close working relationship with our landlord, the Mercers Company .
- Work with the Learning for Life program team and stakeholders to implement and execute Diageo’s mission and commitment to this program, and to other agreed on site training and/or apprenticeship schemes .
- Execute Guinness brand events, h ost VIP experiences, and internal and external visits .
- Work with Diageo GB Beer Marketing and Commercial teams on strategy for site advertising, events and sponsorship .
- Liaise with external contractors to deliver any maintenance work as required .
- Keep an up-to-date knowledge with external best practice to develop the OBY experience and stay ahead of the competition .
What you’ll bring to the role
- Substantial leadership experience and communication skills , preferably gained with international Experience Operations or Hospitality brands
- A background in using your understanding of business management and administration to meet operational KPIs, sales, revenue and profit targets
- An undergraduate degree with an emphasis in business management and administration, plus a relevant Masters qualification
- Proven experience managing teams and cross-functional business units
- Be a true leader, acting as a role model for the team
- Ability to oversee all operational processes throughout various experience areas, including but not limited to: staffing, experience marketing, and event management
- Ability to build strong relationships with VIP customers
- Possess a friendly, helpful, confident, and engaging personality
- Be familiar with sales protocols and customer service procedures
- Experience in a project start-up environment would be an added bonus
Worker Type :
Regular Primary Location:
1HQ Additional Locations :
Job Posting Start Date :
2023-09-29 0:00 / 1:42 About Us With over 200 brands sold in more than 180 countries, we’re the world’s leading premium drinks company. Every day, over 30,000 talented people come together at Diageo to create the magic behind our much-loved brands. From iconic names to innovative newcomers – the brands we’re building are rooted in culture and local communities. Our ambition is to be one of the best performing, most trusted and most respected consumer products companies in the world.
Our founders, such as Arthur Guinness, John Walker, and Charles Tanqueray, were visionary entrepreneurs whose brilliant minds helped shape the alcohol industry. And through our people, their legacy lives on. Join us, and you’ll collaborate with talented people from all corners of the world . click apply for full job details