Mitie was founded in 1987, Mitie is the UK's leading facilities management and professional services company, looking after a large, diverse, blue-chip customer base, from banks and retailers, to hospitals, schools and government offices. Mitie has over 49,000 people, 100+ office locations, and thousands of customers across the country, there's no limit to what you can achieve if you work for us.
Delivering the exceptional, every day
• Our purpose: our expertise, care, technology and insight create amazing work environments, helping our customers be exceptional every day.
• Our promise to our people: a place to work where you can thrive and be your best every day.
• Our promise to our customers: a trusted partner creating exceptional environments for your customers and people, adding value every day.
• Our culture - our core values and how we behave:
1. We are one Mitie: we work as one to deliver a seamless, unrivalled service. We are all in it together, if we can help a customer or colleague in any way, we will. We are one Mitie.
2. We are built on integrity and trust: integrity and trust are at the heart of all we do. We are the face of company. We treat others as we would like to be treated. We are proud to work for Mitie.
3. We go the extra mile: whether it's keeping things running smoothly in a safe environment, looking for new ways to do things better or fixing problems, going the extra mile for our colleagues and customers and keeping our promises is in our DNA.
4. Our diversity makes us stronger: we are very proud of our rich and diverse culture and backgrounds. Our diversity creates ideas and insights. Everyone at Mitie has a voice and is treated as an equal.
5. Our customers' business, is our business: we are a partner, trusted for our expertise and for putting our customers at the heart of everything we do.
• Knowledge of relevant procedures
• Level of customer Service
• Team Player
• Health and safety awareness and knowledge
Waste Operative based at Unilever UK, Leeds Sourcing Unit. Generally tasked with:
the collection, movement, sorting, processing and despatch of waste and other materials,
the loading and unloading of pallets and
controlling associated vehicle movements and drivers.
Representing Mitie by upholding and practising the Company's values and expected behaviours.
- Working in a safe and diligent manner so as to ensure own safety and the safety of others.
- Complying absolutely with all health and safety and environmental policies and procedures in place including those of the Company and the Client.
- Complying with waste legislation when dealing with waste.
- Reporting unsafe conditions, unsafe acts, near misses, incidents and accidents to the Company and/or Client.
- Safe operation of a counterbalanced fork lift truck including battery changing and charging of units.
- Safe operation of static baling and compaction equipment to process waste.
- Completing daily check sheets and relevant defect sheets as necessary for all equipment used.
- Safely loading and unloading waste and other goods or equipment as directed.
- Safely loading and unloading client pallet returns and deliveries as directed.
- Ensuring the safety of vehicles, drivers and others during loading and unloading.
- Sorting and segregating used pallets by type and separating out pallets suitable for reuse.
- Collecting, storing, moving and processing, as applicable, routine and non routine waste as directed
- Completing, maintaining and being responsible for content, accuracy and sign off of equipment logbooks.
- Completing all work-related documentation accurately and on time.
- Complying absolutely with Company policies and procedures.
- Attending and fully participating in regular training and development reviews with line management, mentor, HR representatives and Company nominated representatives.
- Undertaking any other work at the direction of a Company or Client representative which is within the current level of training and development.
- The general work pattern is five 9 hour day shifts (07.00 until 16.00) Monday to Friday; 1 hour lunch is unpaid.
- The general work hours are 40 per week after which overtime is paid at the applicable rate.
- The basic leave entitlement is 20 days flexible leave plus 8 bank/public holidays.
- Basic hourly rate £8.65.
- Wages are paid four-weekly.
- Previous health and safety training desirable.
- Previous experience in the waste industry desirable.
- Understanding of waste management and environmental legislation or willingness to learn.
- CB fork lift truck driver operator certification and work experience, including battery changing and charging. (Certification or renewal should have been carried out in the previous two years).
- Medically assessed and approved for MHE operations.
- Prepared to work outside in extremes of weather (suitable workwear provided).
- Previous experience in the use of static balers and compactors desirable.
- Previous manual handling training desirable.
- Literacy and numeracy skills sufficient for the role and to ensure safe operation in a hazardous environment.
- Demonstrates a logical and practical approach to tasks.
- Ability and desire to improve technical competence through additional training.
Prepared to take on additional responsibilities once suitably qualified or trained.
- Capable of carrying out moderately strenuous tasks.
- Willing and able to work overtime when required including regular weekend work.
Self-motivated and sufficient but also works as part of a team.
Must have exemplary timekeeping and attendance record.
Health and Safety responsibilities
- Follow Group and company policies and procedures at all times;
- Report any apparent deficiencies in systems of work or equipment provided that may result in failure of service delivery or risk to health and safety or the environment;
- Use all work equipment and personal PPE properly and in accordance with training received;
- Report any issues or training needs to your Line manager and /or via your divisional incident reporting system;
- Ensure compliance with Mitie's information security procedures in all activities;
- Proactively identify and report security risks to your manager;
- Report actual and suspected security incidents;
This job description Is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role envisaged for this position and the range of duties undertaken. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder throughout the period of employment. The job description may be varied from time to time by the Company to reflect changes in the post holder's role and/or the needs of the business.