An exciting new role to lead the store development team within the Boots Commercial and Technical Services function where innovation meets retail excellence. We are a dynamic and thriving retail company dedicated to delivering exceptional products and experiences to our customers. As we embark on an exciting new phase for store development, we are seeking a highly skilled and visionary professional to join us as our Store Development Director.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Director of Store Development, you will be leading the future thinking of store development for Boots and orchestrating the execution of the strategy.
This pivotal role requires a forward-thinking leader who can navigate the intricacies of a large retail estate, design, and market dynamics to ensure our stores not only meet but exceed customer expectations. You will lead a talented team, driving the development and execution of comprehensive strategies that align with our brand and business objectives.
Your responsibilities will span from strategic planning, format proposition development and space optimisation to range and assortment planning and category proposition delivery. It’s a role that demands a keen understanding of the retail landscape, a flair for strategic thinking, and the ability to translate vision into tangible results. If you are ready to shape the future of our retail footprint and contribute to the success of a vibrant and forward-looking company, we invite you to explore this exciting opportunity with us.
- Lead and oversee the strategic planning and execution of new store development initiatives in alignment with the company’s overall business objectives.
- Develop the format propositions and the optimum blueprint design for each defining the purpose and associated customer missions for each based on performance data, category strategies, market trends, consumer behaviour, and competitive landscape.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Business Units, Retail & Pharmacy Operations, Property, Store Leadership & Finance, to ensure seamless execution of store development projects.
- Direct the design and layout of new stores, ensuring brand consistency, customer experience optimization, and adherence to budgetary constraints
- Lead 3rd party concept development activities
- Evaluate and strategically prioritise the optimisation of our existing store portfolio working in partnership with the Property Director on strategic investment planning
- Foster relationships with cross functional internal stakeholders and external partners
- Future focused on industry trends, emerging technologies, and omni-channel digitisation of our stores to drive a step change in the overall customer journey at a store and category level
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE
- MBA or equivalent qualification in general management (including Strategy Development) would be most desirable however, a bachelor’s degree in the following may be seen as advantageous; Chartered Accountant, Chartered Surveyor, Architect or Graphic Design.
- Expertise in developing and formatting strategic propositions and blueprints, shaping the future direction of retail store development.
- Proven experience in omni-channel development, employing customer journey insights and mission-led design thinking to enhance the overall retail experience.
- Possession of a working understanding of the foundational activities and processes supporting category management, ensuring a holistic approach to product offerings.
- Proven experience of either macro or micro space optimisation and assortment planning – including best in class capabilities to support delivery
- Demonstrated ability to exercise commercial acumen, making complex and risk-based judgment calls, coupled with strong analytical know-how for effective decision-making in a retail environment.
- Proven leadership in driving retail transformation, steering significant change programs that propel the company toward innovation and growth.
- Track record of successfully leading change in ambiguous environments, demonstrating leadership in managing both reporting teams and matrix teams to achieve high performance.
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills, translating data into actionable insights.
- Proficiency in supplier negotiation, emphasizing accountability over procurement or contract management, ensuring mutually beneficial partnerships.
We offer Hybrid Working with a mix of remote and office-based working. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are our in-person days.
If you have any questions about this role, please contact
Closing date for applications: 10 th January 2024