graze started in 2008 as a healthy snack subscription service, delivering customised boxes of snacks directly to customers through the post. At the time, there were very few platforms to help us with such a novel idea, so we built our own: from factory machines and systems to a subscription website and data warehouse.
Ever since those early start-up days, technology and data have always been important in driving our success. Our ability to rapidly develop and iterate tech solutions has been a vital ingredient of our launches into eCommerce and retail, helping us to establish ourselves one of the UK's healthiest snack brands!
In 2019 we were acquired by Unilever, and we're now expanding into Europe. We've already launched graze into Ireland and the Netherlands - and that's just the beginning...
The role, Data Engineer...
We're looking for a Data Engineer to provide technical leadership in our Data team. You will be responsible for managing our data warehouse platform, building and maintaining data pipelines, and designing and delivering technical solutions to business problems.
Our tech stack...
Our AWS Redshift data warehouse is populated by a custom-built batch job scheduling system, which orchestrates hundreds of ETL processes per day. The wealth of data that comes from a vertically-integrated and multi-market consumer goods business means that our pipelines are really diverse... we have processors that deal with anything from ingesting subscription website session data, to retailer sales data, to product weight data from the production lines in our factory!
Our data platform is primarily written in PHP, deployed on Docker on AWS ECS, and we rely on other AWS services like S3, RDS and SQS. Business users can download and upload data via self-serve tools in our internal web application, as well as Tableau dashboards.
It's now been 10 years since graze made our first data hire. A lot has changed in this time, and we're always looking for ways to further improve our data systems. Which parts of our system continue to drive real value to the business - how can we make these better? What new tools are out there that we're not yet using? Should we migrate our customer-built batch job scheduling to Airflow? We are looking for someone who is excited to get involved in answering these big questions and defining the technical direction that we move in!
What we are looking for in you…
- You're curious! You have an ability to quickly learn and adapt, with fast problem-solving capabilities
- You have experience in building and maintaining data platforms and pipelines
- You love to write clean, efficient, maintainable, version-controlled and well-documented code
- You have excellent SQL skills
- You enjoy working with end-users to build and deploy quality solutions that are valuable to them and the business
What we expect in the first 6 months
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the data technology stack we have at graze.
- Gain enough familiarity with the existing codebase that you can comfortably make and review significant changes.
- Be instrumental in scoping and specifying changes to the systems.
- Be able to identify areas of improvement and progress changes.
- Be able to respond to, triage and fix most operational issues.
- Build strong relationships with your team and key people you work with.
What's in it for you?
- A competitive salary, BUPA private medical insurance and pension scheme
- 25 days holiday + 1 health day + 1 volunteering day, per year
- Flexible working - throughout 2020, we've all been working from home. We will continue to offer flexible working in future, allowing for a balance between office and remote working days.
- Hacker Time: one day per month dedicated to hacking away (no distractions!) on whatever you'd like, learning a new language, trying out some new tech, open sourcing some code
- We encourage active learning with learning lunches, networking events or more formal qualifications
- Opportunities for presenting on technical subjects, in learning and conference-style environments both internally and externally
- Plenty of free snacks!
We're all about inclusivity and making you feel like you belong. We are passionate about having an excellent culture with strong meaningful values so the biggest ask we have is for you to be your authentic self every day whilst doing a great job.